Wade Muhlhauser was a three star athlete in high school who went on to play baseball in college and at the amateur level. He got introduced to opioids in high school following a football injury, marking the start of his progression into addiction. Wade shares his personal story, explaining how his active addiction took off when he could no longer get Oxycontin so he shifted to other opioids. He shares the impact addiction had on a serious relationship and how it caused everything to fall apart two months before their wedding was supposed to take place. Currently Wade operates Plugged in Recovery, an online community he’s created for people to find support, articles, and resources to aid in their struggles and to help find what help would be the best fit for them.
What We Discuss with Wade:
- Wade and I talk about the difference between addiction and chemical dependency.
- He tells me about his education in drugs growing up, going through the DARE program.
- Wade talks about his recovery and the important role 12 Step Programs have played in it.
- He discusses his views on addiction growing up, and how his opinions shifted from drugs being something you could will your way out of to viewing it as a disease.
- Wade gives his opinion on what could help better address the problem by putting more options available for people to get help, getting people better education through schooling, and stricter guidelines on the medical field when it comes to prescribing narcotics as well as alternative medicine.